Air Quality Frome

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 13.23.14

1 Like

Big up (thank you) to you guys for doing a ‘monstrous’ job on this sensor project. By the way, do we make internal* sensors?

We’ve not built anything for air quality indoors so far.

The same box could be used for particulate matter, but for internal spaces there are gasses like CO2 & formaldehyde which are important as well - for different reasons to particulate matter, but it would make sense to measure those on an indoor project.

Side note

although that article is about wood fires, during testing/setup we have seen large PM values from:

• chip fryers
  • electric ovens
  • humidifier (ultrasonic)

The humidifier one is interesting as there’s research suggesting drier air in winter from central heating and the fact cooler winter air can hold total less water, contributes to viral infection risk (including some directly studying COVID-19).

With dry air being a risk, increasing humidity could be healthy, but it turns out ultrasonic humidifiers increase PM. This is generally put down to minerals in the water becoming airborne, with some likely coming from small water droplets being picked up as PM at the sensor.

There’s some debate whether water droplets are making the numbers look higher & not much info on whether the “white dust” particles from minerals in the water are dangerous, but running a humidifier for a few hours makes the PM numbers look like New Delhi on a bad day.

Oh, the humidifier risk is interesting… especially as I used a humidifier a lot to try to clear the house of smoke after we had a chimney incident last year. Anyhow, Virginia Tech suggest using deionised water for the purpose. And it’s also noted elsewhere that showers (especially hot showers!) have a similar air-water interface issue.

Can’t remember if we saw this before Enviro for Raspberry Pi - Monitor your world! – Pimoroni

Could we help here??

Also thought you’d all find this interesting!

Read more here

This is basically what we’ve talked about doing!

1 Like

Some heavy readings there!

That’s scary, considering we’re in “lock down”. I dread to think what the reading will be when things go back to normal?

Think I’ll do a sensor nag… all sensors out

This would of been interesting to have applied for. We could of worked with Frome town council to put together more chunky grant

Quick update on 3d printing
Joe sent me the 3d files for the mount/duct (thanks Joe).

I printed off a draft (2hrs20mins, low quality) to see what adjustments I might need for my printer.

Dimensions came out fine, I just need to make sure surfaces/walls are set up similar to the Prusa project to keep the air channels solid & structure string (some of that will improve running at normal speeds).

3 Likes

Woaaah someone did it!

1 Like

Elon, where are you…

Is this old news?

Can I also recommend a link to Google Nest home device on the link above!

A hopefully accurate power reading over 24h period. I mentioned I calculated 11Wh per day from the info on the website and 11.9Wh per day measured. So not far off!

3 Likes

Very useful measurement! I think we were discussing last week the possibilities of battery power with solar top-up.

I’m impressed!

Apologies if this is an old link?

I had some difficulty finding our sensor setup guide, so here’s a link:
Clean Air Frome - So you’ve got yourself a sensor!