[Spotlight] Crypto talk and what is blockchain

You might already know about this surge in digital art, but just in case you don’t.

1 Like

Yes I saw this! Amazing new sector. Don’t think I’d ever get one, but maybe we can make a techshed frome piece of crypto art?? You in @Laurentius

Also saw bands are using this now too

I really like the “tokens (NFTs) as ownership certificates” concept.

On the one hand there’s the “buy a share in this piece to support the Artist” and the other there’s full ownership.

Both of these make a decent case for ways to give value to digital creators without Meme law type moves.

It’s a better match for digital art - copies, remixes & memes are like prints rather than paintings, but the creator can still monetise their work.

It doesn’t stop people adding tokens made from original works as their own tokens, but it’s better than works just getting copied without the artist having a chance.

The weird “Rare Pepes” thing sort (memes being sold as NFTs) of popularised the concept, but showed a downside too - the original works may not get Tokenised, but the memes based on them tooks over - Feels Good Man is worth a watch.

I thought nft’s were all the rage, but there is a new standard being developed… srnfts that creates tokens that give royalties to the original artists rather than them just making money on selling tokens…

Curious to see what other applications this could be used for…

Also…
I was thinking about How towns create their own currency like the Totnes pound - Totnes pound - Wikipedia

The aim was to keep the money in the local economy. Wonder what would happen if there was a Frome £, created via blockchain, that could only be spent in Frome. This would only be spendable on local shops or with trade people in area…People could transfer funds to each other without banks or big corporations. The service could also be run on a decentralised ‘people owned’ local pcs/servers

The cardano blockchain for example lets you Create native tokens. So it could be done (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cityam.com/native-tokens-on-cardano/amp/) would obviously need town council and or push…

This idea has been played with

"
Here’s one hypothetical example: A local government that wants to reduce pollution, traffic congestion, and the town’s carbon footprint might reward households that invest in local solar generation with negotiable digital tokens that grant access to electric mass-transit vehicles but not to toll roads or parking lots. The tokens would be negotiable, with their value tied to measures of the town’s carbon footprint, creating an incentive for residents to use them. "

Local currency is certainly an interesting idea. I can see it operate more effectively at city level than town level - perhaps a town like Frome could cosy up to a successful local currency in Bath or Bristol. Anyhow, I see the Bristol Pound people have collected some studies. I see also that they are actively working on a cashless local currency. (Possibly local currencies are an idea for a new thread.)

Adosia sounds interesting

I need to read a bit more, but there’s some interesting ideas on an IoT platform supported by the economic models available from blockchain. It covers hardware platforms well as the data side…

1 Like

I’ve put my money into Premium Bonds…