3D Printer & Printing

Fab site Joe, I’d like to see a 3D printer in every home. By the way, I was perplexed by the “book shelf aligner”!

I found a couple of possibly-useful videos about troubleshooting the same sort of problems we had with our first test prints on the Mini, so thought I’d stick them here in case we need them. (First thing to try though is simply lowering the nozzle a bit more.)

2 Likes

Here’s a potentially useful thing to print (if people still use ethernet cables?)

I’ve been having a similar problem with the super cheap (£1) earphones I buy from “Proper Job”. They always split where the cable meets the Jack, but I’ve now found a solution to my dilemma! I lay a coat of hot glue on the flexible part of the Jack.

Ed, do you think it might be possible to design a ‘clip’ for an earphone Jack?

I’ve used Surgru for that before - it’s like a putty you can mould by hand - it sets as flexible rubber. Works quite well.

Sugru is a good idea! It has a limited shelf life - 13 months, apparently, unless you keep it in the freezer - so you can’t just have a packet lying around forever. Like we did. But we did mend a dishwasher bracket thing.

Cables breaking at attachment points is a tricky problem - if you add something rigid, you move the problem. You need something springy or semi-flexible. My laptop power cable is in a right state. Found a few possible ideas on thingiverse, anyway:

Thanks chap.

By the way, check this out! Star Trek inspired device sees drones fly off factory line - BBC News

I forgot to attach a photo of my Sugru headphone jack mod. It’s chunky, but effective:

1 Like

Thanks Will, looks super strong compared to my glue gun version!

I might actually try to make a pair of “Sugru Earbuds”!

A very belated picture of my flexible solution (hot glue).

P.S. glue + electricity cost around 2p.

1 Like

“Printer ink pricier than champagne”!

Here’s an innovation: the compact folding upside-down cake printer. Fits in a filament box for easy transport. (Print volume 175x165x125mm)

Ed, did you spot any weaknesses in this upside *3D printer?

*Bowled-over by the detail

Well, you might think gravity would be a weakness, but it turns out not. In fact, the thing can even print ‘bridges’ which have no means of support (or in this case, suspension.) And, having the moving parts right down by the heavy baseplate helps with vibration.

The biggest issue would be bed adhesion. Some materials stick better than others. I’m also not quite so confident in the nozzle not clogging or debris not falling away from the nozzle again causing a clog. (I’m commiting a sin and commenting before watching the video but I’ve seen a few threads on this style)

I’ve had my Ender-3 3D printer at home since PJ and I built it last year. I did a lot with it during lockdown, but I’ve done nothing for the last 12 months. I’m now having a clear-out and so I’d like to give it, plus a substantial store of PLA filament, to the Tech Shed, or any Tech Shed member who wants it. If storage space is a problem I can make space in my workshop at the Welshmill for it, and make it available to Tech Shed members when they meet at the Welshmill, and at other times. All this will probably have to wait until the Tech Shed meets again at the Welshmill.

1 Like

That’s an excellent offer, thanks Paul! I’m pretty sure we’ll be meeting in person at some point this year, and perhaps even in the next few weeks.

Does anyone have a surplus nozzle with heater and sensor for 1.75 mm dia filament for use with a Bowden tube feed? My 3D printer has a 3 filaments into 1 Diamond type of nozzle. Which is a good idea in theory but is quite problematic in practice. I have lost patience with it and just will replace it with a conventional single nozzle. Thanks.

I’ll have a look in my workshop … but I think I gave all my 3D printer spares to PJ.

I’ve found the pre-assembled hot end I bought from RepRapPro for my Mendel. I’m glad to ley you have it - I no longer have the Mendel. Any use?