Changes to Meetups (with poll!)

Hi Everyone.

Since the world is (sort of) more active in physical space these days, with COVID restrictions having ended, we’re been trialling physical meetups & looking at what best to do with the online version.

Reducing Online to Once a Fortnight

Most people aren’t using the online meetup, so we’re scaling that back to once every fortnight, so there won’t be a call this week (next call will be Wed’s 6th April).

I’ll send an email to the mailing list to let people know before Wed’s.

Physical

We had a physical event on the 27th Feb at the Welshmill hub. As it was the first time back in the space since COVID hit, & we has some new kit to go through, was casual/ unstructured, but we got to talk through various projects/tools/devices and a bit more detail on some of those.

We’ll be evolving back to semi-structured session as we get back into the swing of running physical sessions & see what works for our current members & their interests/projects (potentially welcome/chatting/project catchup/setup, nominated topic for a set time, followed by more chat and working on other projects).

The next session is provisionally booked for Sunday 1st May 2022, at Welshmill hub.

Again, we’ll send an email around with confirmation nearer the time, but for now, I’ve started a public calendar for Techshed Events so people can use that to find us.
(alternative calendar link, if you don’t have a Google Account, & an iCal link for good measure!)

Regular Sessions

The plan is to have a regular Sunday meetup once per month.

We need a bit of help with the timing of that to find out what works best for people (e.g. first Sunday, last Sunday etc).

We’ll post a poll here (once I’ve figured out how).

New Poll

Help us find a physical meetup schedule that works

Current plans are to run sessions once per month on a Sunday, between 14:00 and 18:00 but we need to find out what works well for members to clash with as few other commitments as possible to make it as accessible as possible.

• 1st Sunday of the Month
  • 2nd Sunday of the Month
  • 3rd Sunday of the Month
  • Last Sunday of the Month
  • Can we look at other options?

0 voters

Thanks Will, I’m glad to hear that physical meet ups are back! I was visiting family on the 27th of February but am keen to make the next one. I don’t have any regular commitments on a Sunday but am sometimes visiting family over the weekend so I may be a bit more ad-hoc in my attendance! Looking forward to catching up with you next time I see you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the announcement and poll Will. I voted for the first Sunday, but I don’t really have a preference, and I see if I’d voted for the last Sunday, that would have put it solidly in the lead. So - I’ve changed my vote! But it doesn’t really represent my preferences…

So perhaps I should vote for “Any one Sunday is fine”!

Thanks for voting, poll is now closed - looks like the final Sunday of each month is the winner, so we’ll start arranging those after this weekend’s session

1 Like