YouTube channel recommendations

Hey folks, do any of you have any interesting YouTube channel recommendations?

My favourite channel at the moment is OddTinkering, he takes old, often broken bits of hardware and machinery and restores them to their former glory. I find the minimalist approach to sound and visuals in the videos very relaxing! Watching his videos makes me feel the same way I did when reading Marie Kondo’s “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up”, all clean and tidy on the inside! haha

1 Like

On a similar theme, My Mechanics is my favourite restorer.

Another “mechanical” youtuber is Alec Steele. A young blacksmith and bladesmith who makes amazing things from metal and fixing old heavy duty metalworking machinery but mostly beautiful damascus steel knives and swords.

Edit: I actually miscategorised Alec Steele. He mainly makes mistakes!

2 Likes

I like This Old Tony for machining, and Clickspring for precision. I’m not very automotive, but I follow Bad Obsession’s Project Binky and have dipped into Fully Charged.

I keep an eye on SpaceX, often via Scott Manley. For machine intelligence there’s Deepmind, and Graphcore.

Technology Connections is quite interesting for the history and workings of household appliances.

LockPickingLawyer is good for lock technology and picking.

CuriousMarc is good for vintage computer restoration.

Bill Hammack the engineerguy is great for historical innovations.

I quite like Machine Thinking too.

Just possibly that’s already far too many.

2 Likes

Let me add a couple more. But I notice we don’t have any here - yet - which are Electronics or Computer Science based.

Here’s some electronics, by way of homebrew computing:
Ben Eater

1 Like

I’m just going to piggyback on this thread, as there is video within, although it’s not a channel recommendation as such:

1 Like

An earlier recommendation from Will:
Two Minute Papers
Seems to be mostly AI, machine learning, rendering: applied computer science, with a smattering of 3D printing.

1 Like

A few more might be worth mentioning, which I have watched in the past, but also as mentioned in “What are the best explainer videos?” on AskMeFi:

Computerphile, computer science and history
Sixty Symbols, physics and astronomy
Numberphile, arithmetic, number theory and maths generally

Also, one new to me, but I might give it a go, and also recommended there, a series of short how-tos where Mike Boyd learns a skill from scratch:

1 Like

This video appealed to me, so the channel might be worth a look. Sebastian Lague talks you through his coding process for one challenge or another, in this case a not-terrible chess-playing program:

This is AI in the sense of ‘only an intelligent entity could play chess not-terribly.’ And it’s a bit better than not-terrible, surprisingly so, with just a few heuristics (and no machine learning!)

Tom Stanton makes things, almost like an engineer would - this is his channel.
Diaphragm Air Engine - a compressed air engine with few moving parts, for model planes (Pneumatic Plane)
Flywheel Bike KERS - add a flywheel and clutch to a bike to store energy from braking

Asianometry does modest-length documentaries, sometimes on high tech (silicon and software), sometimes on history or geopolitics.