3D Printer & Printing

I’ll have a look in my workshop … but I think I gave all my 3D printer spares to PJ.

I’ve found the pre-assembled hot end I bought from RepRapPro for my Mendel. I’m glad to ley you have it - I no longer have the Mendel. Any use?

Hi, thanks for the offer. I have now received a Volcano hot end. Just need to make an adapter to fit it!

Once again I have some chair feet to print for a project that the Frome Shed is doing for the Frome Community Hospital. My own 3D printer is undergoing maintenance and so is not available. Any chance that I can use the Tech Shed printer, or a Tech Shed member’s printer? Filament supplied,donation of filament possible.

We should have the remakery 3D printer finished next session. Just the wiring connections to go. You’ll have access to it anytime in the remakery.

Did you sort out the chair feet printing?

Yes, in that I have 2 possible substitute printers. No, in that on Thursday I discovered that the feet previously fitted had fallen out. Possible solutions are make them a tighter fit, glue them, use PETG instead of PLA (from Jo at real meet yesterday).

I have used PETG but found that it is more brittle than I hoped. I am now using PLA+ or PLA silk. These are stronger than regular PLA, and not much difference in price. I have also tried nylon. Although it is strong it is a bit tricky to get it to stick to the bed, particularly when printing larger items. I have been making hydrofoil blades for models, and even printing the span vertically (i.e. relying on inter-layer strength) these come out adequately strong. I do also have a partially used reel of ABS but I find the smell is not tolerable.

Just to add, that I have a Volcano 0.6 mm nozzle. There is quite a speed improvement compared to 0.4 mm and for most of the things I make the extra detail of the smaller diameter is not needed.

Good comparison of materials here. If anyone is interested in the future

Thanks for that info Joe. The PETG that I used more recently was relatively cheap, and maybe also I left it to absorb water. However, in the past I have used Colorfabb XT and that was very good. Quite pricey though. Just looked online and works out at nearly £50 per kg. I cannot justify that price for my own projects. PLA+ is around £12 per kg.

Argh sorry @qscons I didn’t see this message until now! Of course you can use the TechShed printer if you still want to. It’s currently at our place, so we’ll need to arrange to get it to you.

My Ender 3 3D printer needs its nozzle replacing, which I can’t do for at least 2 weeks. The Frome Shed needs some chair feet printing now. I’ll provide filament if you contact me before Saturday(10th September). The feet are for chairs for the Frome Community Hospital,so there’s no money to pay for them. You get to keep any unused filament. STL file at https://drive.google.com/open?id=11pSHwVlspi8Mi5C3lEzyp7AWUbOqa_RP&authuser=upfine%40gmail.com&usp=drive_fs … use 100% infill when slicing
gcode for Ender 3 at https://drive.google.com/open?id=11pY844QuMsKhOMkgFDMa3J60bNvUmODf&authuser=upfine%40gmail.com&usp=drive_fs
Probably best to speak with me at 07775630483

Good news! I’ve managed to blag some free ABS from work for this. Perfect for this application, better than my suggestion of PETG but does have fume concerns (I can deal with it). Might be able to print some at work too but definitely can over the weekend. How many do you need? Sorry can’t phone right now, at work.

1 Like

16 required now for four chairs already refurbished. Probably best to see how those go before printing any more. Perhaps one or two extra in case one gets lost, broken or whatever. Colour - they have to take whatever’s available - if there’s a choice black (or grey) is best. I’ll be away from Saturday morning till late Wednesday next week. You can post them through the letterbox at 7A Catherine Street - or I can collect them late Wednesday. An alternative might be to deliver them to John Corfield, Shed treasurer, at 12 Bluebell Road - he doesn’t know anything about this yet.
Long term - at least 64 required, I’ll try to get a complete count within the next 3 weeks.

Fortunately, its black. It’s meant to be ESD safe filament but doesn’t have a statement of conformity so we cant use it on site. I’ll see how I get on over the weekend and let you know how I’ll drop them off

That’s good news Joe. I’ll hold off with the PETG / TechShed printer then.

I have a nearly full reel of ABS if anyone wants it. I don’t use it now as it is too smelly for me.

Had some issues with the material, then software issues and then had to tweak the model. I’m guessing the ridges were originally meant to deform when inserted but they wouldn’t print without supports so I’ve made them have a chamfer on the underside instead of the undercut. Should still deform/break when inserted. Ready to hit print tonight so can deliver them anywhere Friday afternoon

Ed, would it be possible to say, print 10 pairs of *hinges for a loo seat? Also, do you think they’ll be strong enough? I would like to pop by this Month and give it a go, if that’s okay…

*I’ve disinfected them.