We’re now meeting online on Wednesdays at 7pm using Zoom - join the call here.
Tech Shed: Online
What to expect in a tech shed Wednesday online session
Using the tools we have at hand, and not being in the same physical space, the sessions have to be a bit different, a bit more focussed.
We’re evolving this as we go, so hopefully we can refine this to allow people to get the most out of sessions while we’re not meeting in person.
You don’t have to join with video turned on if that’s not your thing - text and voice are still available.
If you have any suggestions or ideas that would make these session work for you, please let us know.
Virtual Meetup Structure
- Weekly Poll with suggestions
- Rough topic list/agenda published by the organiser
- Communication channels tbc (forum, email, Facebook etc.)
- Organisers agree host in advance (can rotate)
Host acts as chair.
- Outline of how we interact/how the session is managed/ rules of engagement/procedure and signals and conventions
- quick spin around the room to check in & see how everyone’s doing
- Adjust/co-create agenda from the outline
- this is a chance to give a teaser about something you want to talk about (without diving straight into detail)
- Check in on late arrivals
- We’ll try to stop and greet people as we would at the start of a session, but may ask people to hold on if there’s a topic in mid-flow when they arrive.
- If there’s a lot of talking over each other going on, the host may have to manage things a bit, but as much as possible people should respect whoever’s speaking
- if they’re going on a bit, just raise your hand and the host will make sure you’re heard.
- may feel a bit odd or unnecessary, but we’re missing a chunk of the normal social cues on a video call, so it’s more likely people miss, or miss-read the usual signals we put out - show a bit of patience
- Treat everyone with respect - not that we don’t normally, but things have gone a tiny bit weird since the lockdown, so we need to make sure we look out for each other.